San Antonio Finish Line

San Antonio Finish Line
Jeremy, Jen and I rocked it!

Fraternity Centennial Celebration

Fraternity Centennial Celebration

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Expectations and Good Times Ahead

Hello Readers!

It has been far too long since I have posted. I apologize to you readers for that. I am going to philosophize just a bit here. People who know me know I put extremely high expectations on myself. Sometimes my expectations get the better of me, whether on the tennis court where I feel I should never lose and can be seen giving myself stern pep talks, or in running where I feel I should run a faster race every time. The fact is there will be times when we can't meet are expectations. I have learned that in reality not meeting expectations is not a failure. It is actually something that can be used as a tool to push ourselves to new limits.

My summer ended as crazy as it began. I have been extremely busy getting myself back in good shape. I think after I ran my two triathlons I let my fitness slip a bit. There was a bit of time there where my motivation lacked, the good news is this has passed. I feel that in that period I forgot what my own slogan on life is and that is "Life is short, live it hard". This is a slogan I refuse to forget in the near future.

The funny thing is I was reminded of the slogan when teaching in Girls on the Run. It is absolutely amazing the amount of energy and zest for life these 3-5 graders have. This is only the third time I have worked with my group but they come to class every Wednesday ready to go. They are always eager to learn the lesson for the day and they really want to hit the track. In a class where I am supposed to teach them about life, they remind me every time no matter how tough times are that in reality life is good!

I am ready to attack this fall season and winter with new zest. In the past couple weeks I have been back to my crazy two a day workouts. I have been running 3.5 miles every day at lunch then I mix in boot camp Mondays, 2000 Yard Swimming Wednesdays, Volleyball Thursdays, 2000 Yard Friday's, 25-35 mile ride Saturdays and Les Mills body pump class, and finally 2000 Yard Sundays. This mad training will all lead to the ultimate prize, I will be running my second marathon in March of 2012. The plan right now is to run Little Rock, this is something Jen, Jeremy and I have been talking about for a while and I look forward to completing this challenge with my friends!

I will talk to everyone soon, I hope everyone continues to be motivated and most importantly make sure they live life hard, it is short!

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment