San Antonio Finish Line

San Antonio Finish Line
Jeremy, Jen and I rocked it!

Fraternity Centennial Celebration

Fraternity Centennial Celebration

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Week One Marathon Training in the Books

Hello Readers!

As promised I wanted to get out here and post a little more timely this time. I can tell everyone that week one of marathon training is officially in the books and it was a hard week! I pushed myself very well. I did my standard Monday - Friday workouts, but then on Saturday I decided to really push myself. I started the day with an awesome 35 mile bike ride called Tour de BBQ. This was an awesome event that benefitted the Lance Armstrong Foundation. I rode with some of my great friends from the "Y" Larry, Chip and Joel. We toured all of Kansas City and got to stop and taste BBQ at five different delicious joints. I found a few places I had never been, but will go back even though they aren't legendary in this BBQ town. At the conclusion of riding, I met my good friend Rachael for a 7 mile run. I hadn't done 7 miles at one time in quite a while and my legs were already exhausted from the ride, but she didn't allow me to use that as an excuse and when I stopped to rest she lit into me making sure I finished strong. Time wise I was very happy as I completed the run in 63 minutes which kept me on a strong pace considering.

Many people have come up to me and asked since I have already completed one marathon, why on God's green earth are you doing another? I thought I would dive into that subject a bit this week. For me there are a few simple reasons: first, the holiday season is coming up. With the holiday season comes two fo my favorite things to do in life eat and drink! By knowing that every Saturday or Sunday for the next 5 months I am accountable to run no less than 8 miles this will allow me to enjoy the finer points of the holidays eating and drinking and not feel as guilty. Secondly, I saw a phrase that I feel summarizes everything with the marathon. "The Pain is only temporary, the Pride is forever". I was looking at my picture from San Antonio and it just brings so much pride to me. I want to recapture that moment and the feeling I felt at that moment. Lastly, most people know that my true goal is still to complete the 70.3 half ironman next year. If I am in the shape to run a marathon, then continuing my training and being in shape for the 70.3 should be very attainable.

I mentioned in my last post that I don't much enjoy failure, and by not being ready to do the 70.3 this year I felt I failed myself and everyone else who expected that of me. Needless to say I will not let this happen next year! It is important that we all keep are expectations high, and always strive for excellence. Week two of training will see me continue the same work. Hopefully everyone has a great week of training!

Life is Short, Live it Hard!!
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment